The rainy season is one of the greatest causes of auto accidents and personal injuries than any other season. According to the Department of Transportation Federal Highway Administration, “On average, there are over 5,748,000 vehicle crashes each year. Approximately 22% of these crashes—nearly 1,259,000—are weather-related” (ops.fhwa.dot.gov, 2017). Although auto accidents are only one area of how people are injured, a personal injury can even happen while walking such as in the mall, the grocery store, or a public place.
If you have been injured in an auto accident or from a slip and fall in a building, you may be entitled to pursue damages for your injuries. Call Law Offices of Russell Fields in Sacramento at (916) 529-4143 to speak with a personal injury attorney today.
Here’s how you can stay safe during the rainy season when you come across those slippery surfaces, whether you’re driving or walking.
When you’re driving:
• Be patient and drive slow. Slow driving will help you avoid hydroplaning and allow you to see the road better.
• Increase your space between cars. More space between your car and others will help you avoid hitting them in case your car begins to slide.
• Always turn on your headlights. Don’t rely on automatic lights because they do not illuminate your taillights.
• Hold the steering wheel tightly. Keeping a firm grip on the steering wheel will help you maintain control if your car begins to slide or hydroplane.
• NEVER DRIVE THROUGH FLOODWATERS!
When you’re walking:
• Walk with an umbrella. It’s hard to keep the water out when it rains, but this will help.
• Be aware of signs. The entrances to buildings are the slipperiest areas of buildings, so be aware of the signage.
• Waterproof and non-slip shoes. Many waterproof shoes usually have non-slip soles.If you don’t like rainboots, buy shoes with non-slip soles.
• Stay on the beaten path. Walkways are there for a reason, and that reason is to keep you from slipping and falling.
• Wear bright colors. Wearing bright colors can help drivers see you. The rain can cause all drivers to be visually impaired.
If you have been injured in an auto accident or from a slip and fall in a building or public place, you may be entitled to pursue damages for your injuries. Call Law Offices of Russell Fields in Sacramento at (916) 529-4143 to speak with a personal injury attorney today.